This Page

has been moved to new address

My snowy ride to the NYSPHSAA wrestling championships

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Diary of a Mad Sportswriter: My snowy ride to the NYSPHSAA wrestling championships

Diary of a Mad Sportswriter

Stan Hudy is a sportswriter for The Saratogian and Community News. He covers high school and youth sports in the Saratoga County area as well as writing a weekly book review on sports books. He's not just a "stick and ball" sportswriter, he's willing to take on any sport as well as any subject.

Friday, February 25, 2011

My snowy ride to the NYSPHSAA wrestling championships



It was a snowy Friday morning, but duty called and so did the New York State Public High School Wrestling Association state championships at the Times Union Center in Albany.

My trusted steed, 2001 Ford Focus and four studded snow tires once again held true to get me to my appointed assignment.

Some times it was slow, some times it was a stop and some times it was looking at others in the snow on the side of the road.

Here's a look at my trip in.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is it that Saratoga Recreation Center has hosted National AAU tourmanments and this weekend a multi state volleyball tournmanet bringing hundreds of people to the area is there is no local coverage. These people in the hundreds filled hotel rooms, created lines to get into local eateries where business is sorely needed this time of year and not a peep. Is the Saratogain falling asleep at the switch or si the Rec Center off limits???

 
At 1:56 PM , Blogger Stan Hudy said...

Dear Anonymous,
Sorry I missed your call, e-mail or any way to help you out with your dilemma.
Nothing came across my desk about the volleyball event, I can't speak for the rest of the staff, but you did find a way to find me after the fact.
Planning and communicating is key.
This is one of the biggest weekends in the Capital Region with both sets of basketball sectionals still going in full swing.
I don't think The Saratogian wasn't the only media outlet not to attend your event.
Please communicate the need to your media committee the importance of getting these things in front of us as soon as they are planned. I can imagine that your hundreds of hotel room reservations were not made Friday, but months in advance.
In working with a variety of sports organizations I keep the message simple. "When you know, let us know."
E-mails save trees and I recommend 90, 60, 30, 14 and even 7 day reminders to the people you want to know about your event.
Nothing about the Rec Center, just lack of communication.
Hopefully the results were made available for publication, maybe even a photo for this year and keep the lines of communication open for next year.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home