This Page

has been moved to new address

No Pulitzer, but an award just as special

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Diary of a Mad Sportswriter: No Pulitzer, but an award just as special

Diary of a Mad Sportswriter

Stan Hudy is a sportswriter for The Saratogian and Community News. He covers high school and youth sports in the Saratoga County area as well as writing a weekly book review on sports books. He's not just a "stick and ball" sportswriter, he's willing to take on any sport as well as any subject.

Monday, April 12, 2010

No Pulitzer, but an award just as special

Another year, another non-call from the Pulitzer Prize committee for me, but my night was just as rewarding.

I was invited to the 2010 Shenendehowa wrestling program's annual banquet as their guest of honor and was awarded the 2010 Media Award. It is without a doubt the largest award I have ever received (this being the second from a local organization, both that I will cherish forever).

It states: "Shenendehowa Wrestling Proudly Acknowledges the Media Coverage of Mr. Stan Hudy of the Saratogian. Thank You for your constant coverage of Shenendehowa Wrestling."

While I was one of the honorees on the night, I was the one left speechless as my award was preceeded by the senior's speeches. Each senior wrestler and their one female manager, took time at the microphone speaking from notes, notecards, their iPhone, but all from the heart.

For 45 minutes you could hear a pin drop as these athletes who have dedicated their lives, not just a season, to a sport where there are no excuses. The scale doesn't lie and no one else is responsible if you are pinned or out-pointed. They spoke of the moments that they felt the most fear, the moments that made them proud and thanked the men and women who have stood by their side through the years.

I spoke briefly in a quick thank you about their dedication to the sport that I most admire. The level of committment is incredible and they should all be commended for their efforts.

For me, I was truly honored to receive their 2010 media award, but what a night it was to hear these young people speak so eloquently about the people, almost all educators, about the impact they had on their lives. I was the one honored to be there, fortunate to hear them speak, grateful to be paid to see them wrestle and truly humbled by being honored by my own Pulitzer Monday night...the 2010 Shenendehowa Wrestling Media Award.

Thank you one and all.
Stan.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 10:02 PM , Anonymous Tom Law said...

Congrats Stan, well done!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home