This Page

has been moved to new address

I'm offensive and sexist (apparently)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Diary of a Mad Sportswriter: I'm offensive and sexist (apparently)

Diary of a Mad Sportswriter

Stan Hudy is a sportswriter for The Saratogian and Community News. He covers high school and youth sports in the Saratoga County area as well as writing a weekly book review on sports books. He's not just a "stick and ball" sportswriter, he's willing to take on any sport as well as any subject.

Friday, April 17, 2009

I'm offensive and sexist (apparently)

No good deed goes unpunished..

I guess I have to take the good with the bad, that's the advice from one of my editors who told me that I had a comment on the Community News anonymous voice mail system "Sound Off"

It was in regards to my story about the girls U12 ice hockey showcase at the Clifton Park Arena two weeks ago. Entitled Pony tails and hockey pucks, the story was about this group gaining exposure to hockey and the opportunity for playing on an all-girls organization.

Here's what we got on the "Sound Off."

Why the sexist headline?
"Sports writer Stan Hudy, shame on you. "Ponytail and hockey pucks" is the headline on a sports story about girl hockey players? As a woman athlete I find that offensive and sexist!"

I can't even blame a copy editor because I gave Sam Hollingsworth (my Wednesday night compadre for the Community News) that headline to run.

Important note...THEY ARE 12-YEARS OLD!!

This wasn't breaking news, they aren't members of a high school varsity sports team (girls) or a member of a collegiate team (women). This was a positive story about girls youth hockey.

I would like to compare it to what the other local print and television media used instead of my "sexist" headline...Oh, that's right...I was the only one there!!!!

It's not uncommon for me to be the lone media representative at a youth event. I think the young players deserve to be covered and when my schedule allows it, I try to be there.

Oh, well, take the good with the bad I guess.

Jeez, it's a really good thing we didn't use the old field hockey adage, "Chicks with Sticks.." Whew! That would have really been something to Sound Off about.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 9:44 AM , Anonymous demroc said...

don't worry stan, the sound off has become the voice of the uninformed....i doubt they would even know whats going on and basically they are no more than knee jerk reactions..

 
At 7:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is NOTHING sexist about the comment, as I am sure you have guessed by now, Saratoga has no shortage of petty individuals most of whom are card carrying members of the democratic party, you know the types; they claim to respect freedom of speech but then you realize, yeah, THEIR freedom of speech just no one elses. Stay Strong Stan.
nancypants appreciates you

 
At 10:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for giving the girls and the organization the exposure. I know all kids love seeing their team in the paper. Please continue to report on them. Yes, many girls were ponytails

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home