This Page

has been moved to new address

Hitting for the cycle on Saturday

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Diary of a Mad Sportswriter: Hitting for the cycle on Saturday

Diary of a Mad Sportswriter

Stan Hudy is a sportswriter for The Saratogian and Community News. He covers high school and youth sports in the Saratoga County area as well as writing a weekly book review on sports books. He's not just a "stick and ball" sportswriter, he's willing to take on any sport as well as any subject.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Hitting for the cycle on Saturday

I have been known to overextend myself when it comes to my schedule. Make plans, have story ideas and then life, the car, exhaustion or traffic win over and I'm forced to cut back.



I thought would happen on Saturday, but I am actually amazed that I pulled off hitting for what I would like to call the sports journalism cycle.




I started the day at the Clifton Common to take in Jim Fitzgerald's Sports Are For Everyone baseball opening day. It's an 18 year-old program that invites special needs kids to play America's Pastime. The group swelled over four small diamonds and I had a hard time keeping my composure while the all-stars were all smiles.




Once complete there, I walked across the lot to take in the first game of the 7th annual Christina Massa Memorial Tournament where the Shenendehowa girls varsity softball team shutout Newburgh Free Academy. Danielle Amyot and Morgan Sprague combined on the two-hit masterpiece.




The event is named after Christina Massa who was lost seven years ago in an alcohol related automobile accident. Her parents were on hand and Frank sent a fastball over the plate for the ceremonial first pitch.




I then raced (you'll like this play on words) up to the Ballston Spa Speedway located at the Saratoga County Fairgrounds for the feature races of the Adirondack Karting Association.




There were two repeat winners, some familiar faces and a new rookie to introduce in this week's edition of "Spinning Wheels."




Then, wondering if time permitted in the 85 degree day, I jetted over to Saratoga Lake to take in the last races of day one of the Saratoga Invitational Regatta on Fish Creek.




The weather was hot, but the boats were faster, including the Mercer boys 1V eight covering the 1,500-meter course in four minutes, 59.30 seconds. The heavy hitters, Mount St. Joe's, Maritime, Community Racing Inc. and Mercer had the upper hands in most of the larger eights contests. Saratoga Rowing won 10 medals with strong finishes in the smaller boats.




This was different and news worthy...SRA didn't run away with 80 percent of the races. Good for their racing future, bad for their moods when I pointed it out in Sunday's story. If it makes them faster for states and nationals, I'll take the heat...and the credit.




I guess I can add a plus-one to my sports journalism cycle when I decided to create an HTML table of the Saratoga Invy results on my blog. The regatta software (which will remain nameless if it does work in two weeks at the state meet) failed on Saturday so everything was done by hand and on-line results would not be immediately available. A few hours later, with a spacing glitch to still be worked out (I hope), it was posted.




Then I called it a night.




Not one of my brighter moves, cramming everything into one day, but it was worth it and I hope the stories give all the athletes involved their due.




Until early Monday morning, good night.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home