This Page

has been moved to new address

Farrow picks U of Tampa, sports may wait

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Diary of a Mad Sportswriter: Farrow picks U of Tampa, sports may wait

Diary of a Mad Sportswriter

Stan Hudy is a sportswriter for The Saratogian and Community News. He covers high school and youth sports in the Saratoga County area as well as writing a weekly book review on sports books. He's not just a "stick and ball" sportswriter, he's willing to take on any sport as well as any subject.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Farrow picks U of Tampa, sports may wait

Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake two-sport standout Georgina Farrow has always had a full schedule between soccer practices, basketball practices and school work.

Now she has time to focus on her academics, at least for one season.

The Spartan senior has decided to attend the University of Tampa in the warm-weather state of Florida, turning down the opportunity to play basketball at SUNY-Oneonta and taking a chance to potential walk on with the women’s basketball squad.

“I liked Oneonta and I really liked the coach,” Farrow said. “When I went to Tampa I fell in love with the campus. I might try to walk on; they’re Division II, probably going to be basketball.

“I think I could have played soccer there too,” Farrow said. “The only thing about basketball is that they only have a week off for Christmas break so I may not make it back home for Christmas.”

Farrow also picked the best possible time to visit the Sunshine State Conference school, the day after the Spartans were eliminated from the Section II tournament in March.

“I was lying out at the pool,” Farrow said. “They have a pool in the middle of their campus. It was a Monday and a friend sent me a picture text message of the parking lot at school. All the cars were covered in snow and I’m laying out there in 80 degree weather.”

Oneonta was a popular choice with her parents, but her desire to spread her own wings won out.

“When I first thought about Florida my mom said ‘No, it was too far away,’” Farrow said. “Then she started to be more understanding.

“She moved to the US when she was 20 years old from England and didn’t want to stop me,” Farrow said. “She said it would be good for me to show me how everyone else lives. My dad, he’s really happy. He’ll have a nice, warm place to visit.”

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home