This Page

has been moved to new address

Phillies send four to NYCBL All-Star game

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Diary of a Mad Sportswriter: Phillies send four to NYCBL All-Star game

Diary of a Mad Sportswriter

Stan Hudy is a sportswriter for The Saratogian and Community News. He covers high school and youth sports in the Saratoga County area as well as writing a weekly book review on sports books. He's not just a "stick and ball" sportswriter, he's willing to take on any sport as well as any subject.

Sunday, July 06, 2008

Phillies send four to NYCBL All-Star game

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- Four Saratoga Phillies will participate tonight in the New York Collegiate Baseball League All-Star game hosted by the Watertown Wizards and will be broadcast on TimeWarner Cable Channel 3.

The NYCBL batting leader, J.D. Martinez (Nova Southeastern), Saratoga Central Catholic graduate Vince Farfaglia (Francis Marion), Ty Hohman (Virginia Tech) and Virginia hurler Sean Lucas will represent the Phillies in the annual summer classic.

Martinez leads the NYCBL with a .459 league leading batting average that includes a new Saratoga franchise record for home runs with 7. In 19 games, Martinez has 34 hits and scored 17 runs with six doubles and a triple to his credit along with 18 RBI.

“I’m looking forward to it to see what talent is out there from the west,” Martinez said. “I want to see what I’m up against.”

Martinez will also participate in the annual home run derby, beginning at 4 p.m.

“I’m psyched, I’ve never done it before,” Martinez said. “It’s an honor to have that chance. I’ve been in all-star games as a little kid, but this is pretty neat.”

Farfaglia also boasts some of the best offensive numbers on the Phillies staff, earning him a berth on the East Division All-Star roster.

In 17 games, Farfaglia is hitting .314 with 16 hits, scoring seven runs. He has four doubles and three triples to his credit with five RBI.

“I’ve been putting some good swings on the ball,” Farfaglia said. “I’ve been looking for my pitches and been selective at the plate.”

The team found out on the road at Watertown earlier in the week courtesy of the Wizards PA announcer.

“We didn’t get home really late, so I told my dad the next day,” Farfaglia said. “They’re pretty proud of me.”

Farfaglia wasn’t surprised by the selection of the Phillies top hitters, including Hohman.

“JD and I hit a lot before the game and do a number of drills before,” Farfaglia. “That’s why we’ve been so successful.”

Hohman was surprised that he was selected for the all-star squad after arriving later in the season to the Phillies, but has made his presence felt.

“I came in late and I’m just trying to come in and do the best that I can,” Hohman said. “I didn’t think that I had a shot. They must have liked what they saw.”

At the plate, Hohman is batting a crisp .315 in 14 games with 17 hits and scoring eight runs. He has driven in six runs with two doubles and a triple. His stock was buoyed by his versatility on the left side of the infield.

“At Virgina Tech I played all the infield positions,” Hohman said. “Here I’ve played short and third. I don’t have a clue where I’ll play (in the all-star game), but wherever they put me, it won’t be a problem.”

Saratoga’s pitching staff will be represented by the left-handed reliever, Lucas.
The Virginia hurler sports an anemic 0.47 ERA over 19.1 innings pitched and 10 appearances. He has a 2-0 record, allowing only six hits and one run that was earned. He walked five batters and struck out 23 to date.

“It’s a nice accomplishment,” Lucas said. “I’m just up here to do my job and it turned out pretty good.”

The NYCBL All-Star game can be seen on TW3 beginning at 7 p.m.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home