This Page

has been moved to new address

Dear Boss: Read my blog...please!!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Diary of a Mad Sportswriter: Dear Boss: Read my blog...please!!

Diary of a Mad Sportswriter

Stan Hudy is a sportswriter for The Saratogian and Community News. He covers high school and youth sports in the Saratoga County area as well as writing a weekly book review on sports books. He's not just a "stick and ball" sportswriter, he's willing to take on any sport as well as any subject.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Dear Boss: Read my blog...please!!

Have you ever worked on something for a long period of time, slaved over a project, agonized over it, had it dominate your thoughts 24 hours a day and then when it's finally reached a certain level of greatness (at least in your eyes), you present it to your superior and all you get is a "hmmph", a cursory "nice job" or "That's great. I want you to work on this next."?

Welcome to my dilemma with my blog and my sports editor, Brien Bouyea.

Now don't think I'm boss bashing here, I'm not. I just need a little help in forcing him to see the light...the blog light.

This blog has grown, gotten some hits and even some compliments throughout the past two years.

It's helped break some news before print, included stories that never made it to print and often has been a live source for sporting events that were not part of the mainstream media outlets.

My wife, Reda, has let me invest probably too much money into my Blackberry, gas money looking for wi-fi spots and this week, a wireless card so I can blog on the go like no Saratogian reporter ever has before.

But my boss, refuses to look at my stinking blog!!!

I've received kudos from my managing editor and our corporate web guru for being such a blog supporter and I love the blog.

I like to use it, especially during the Saratoga Phillies season to provide inning by inning updates for anyone not at East Side Rec live for the game and for those far away.

We received a lot of positives last year from parents of our Phillies players who missed the Internet broadcast by my fellow corporate com padre Andy Santillo and were able to look back at what happened during the game.

I direct our copy editors and former copy editors (Hi Paul in Connecticut and Ben in Glens Falls) to check the blog to find out how the Phillies game is going for planning purposes regarding my story and deadline.

Instead I get a call in the seventh inning during a rally from my sports editor saying "Hey, what's up?" because he refused to type in my blog address.

Apparently he hasn't figured out how to open another window in Explorer so he can get the Red Sox webcast and my blog at the same time.

So I need your help.

If all of you (or a few of you) could call Brien for me (alright, if at least one of you) could do me that favor and kindly tell him what he's missing, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm serious, if you could call the newsroom at (518) 583-8729 ext. 334 after 4 p.m. and ask for Brien, maybe you could steer him in the right direction.

I'm am reaching out to all my rowers, rowing parents, hockey parents, Saratoga Phillies, Phils fans and even fans of my wife, Reda, (sometimes I think she has a bigger following than I do). Think of this as a grass roots, Hudy for Blogspot '08 campaign.

What do you get out of it? First, you get to tell a boss how to do his job and support a little guy (on the totem pole at least) and have a little fun doing it.

Don't worry, I'll take the heat if he gets the message too well, but remember, this is the same guy who hasn't ever looked at my blog anyway...

For those of you that don't want to dial, you can always e-mail him at sports@saratogian.com and CC him at bbouyea@saratogian.com.

Thank you all for your support and thanks for the help with the boss!

I'll keep you updated.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home