This Page

has been moved to new address

BH-BL's Fischer drafted by Angels

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Diary of a Mad Sportswriter: BH-BL's Fischer drafted by Angels

Diary of a Mad Sportswriter

Stan Hudy is a sportswriter for The Saratogian and Community News. He covers high school and youth sports in the Saratoga County area as well as writing a weekly book review on sports books. He's not just a "stick and ball" sportswriter, he's willing to take on any sport as well as any subject.

Saturday, June 07, 2008

BH-BL's Fischer drafted by Angels

Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake senior Dave Fischer is having a year to remember.

The Spartan volleyball leader led his squad to a New York State regional title, the equivalent of a state title, took his basketball team deep into the Section II playoffs and signed his National Letter of Intent to attend UConn this fall as a pitcher.

On Friday night, his year reached a new high, drafted with the 1,338th overall pick in the 2008 Major League Baseball First-Year Entry Draft in the 44th round by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Fischer was one of 28 pitchers selected by the Major League organization, including 19 high school standouts out of the 50 players drafted.

“I was watching the draft on MLB.com through the 36th round and then I went with my dad and grandparents to Albany-Saratoga Speedway,” Fischer said. “I didn’t think it was going to happen.

“Going in I wasn’t expecting anything,” Fischer said. “If I did get drafted it would be nice, but I wasn’t going to worry about it.”

His mom called his father at the speedway to tell him the good news. A few minutes later, Fischer received a phone call from Angels scout Mark Baron to congratulate him.

The lanky right-hander posted a 1-5 record this spring with Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake, pitching 43 1/3 innings with a 2.71 ERA. He allowed only 13 earned runs on 25 hits with 68 strikeouts.

Fischer was aware that he was on the radar of two different major league clubs, the Cincinnati Reds and the Angels.

“They never talked to me, I guess they ignored me,” Fischer said. “I knew they were there. I don’t think I let effect me. It was cool to have them there, it was a real honor.”

Fischer said he was notified that he was on the Reds draft board as well as the Angels.

The Reds scout came to two of my starts and the Los Angeles scout was there for every one my starts.

As a first-year draftee, Fischer has the opportunity to sign with the major league organization, but said he is “99 percent” sure he will continue with his plans to throw for the Huskies.

“If it was taken in the 15th or 20th round it might be a little different,” Fischer said. “It’ll be a flashy thing to say when I go places. It’s a real honor.”

Fischer’s phone has been ringing from friends and family as the news spread, but boys will still be boys. He spent his afternoon getting plenty of ribbing from his American Legion teammates during an Adirondack Indians inter-squad game.

“All the guys there were busting me,” Fischer said. “I pitched one inning today, just to warm up for tomorrow’s senior game and my friend was at the plate.

“He said ‘I’m the first kid he’s faced since he was drafted. He won’t strike me out,’” Fischer said. “I K’d him.”

Fischer’s UConn coach also called to congratulate him on his draft status, checking in and offering him some advice.

“He said that their goal (UConn) is to move me up a couple of dozen rounds in the draft after my senior year,” Fischer said.

For now, the senior has a few weeks of school remaining, a graduation along with a season of summer ball with the Indians.

“This has been a great senior year,” Fischer said. “It’s been the best year of my life so far.”

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home