This Page

has been moved to new address

Black belt Felton debuts on Versus network

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Diary of a Mad Sportswriter: Black belt Felton debuts on Versus network

Diary of a Mad Sportswriter

Stan Hudy is a sportswriter for The Saratogian and Community News. He covers high school and youth sports in the Saratoga County area as well as writing a weekly book review on sports books. He's not just a "stick and ball" sportswriter, he's willing to take on any sport as well as any subject.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Black belt Felton debuts on Versus network

Will compete as part of Chuck Norris's World Combat League

You probably wouldn’t want to mess with Kyle Lynn Felton, especially if she’s having a bad day.

The Rexford resident and third-degree black belt will prove her skills Oct. 19 when she debuts as a member of the Los Angeles Stars, competing in the fall preview of Chuck Norris’s World Combat League combat martial arts show on the Versus Network (formerly OLN).


“One of my friends told me about it and I watched it,” Felton said. “It’s basically like a tournament, but it’s done on TV and there are different cities represented by six athletes.”

Felton will compete for the Los Angeles Stars when they take on the Oklahoma Destroyers. She is scheduled to face kickboxer Jeri Sitzes in the 128-pound women’s match.

Each competitor will fight one match with a single three-minute round.

Competitors are allowed to punch, kick and knee their opponent with any combination of jabs, uppercuts, roundhouse kicks. The fighters are not allowed to throw their opponent, utilize a takedown move or make contact with the other fighter if they end up on the ground.

Once Felton saw the competition, she became interested in taking a shot at becoming a competitor.

“My head instructor in Albany told me, ‘You could do this, you could fight any of those girls,’ ” Felton said. “So I sent in an application.”

Her application consisted of a written application that included her AAU and National Karate Association championships along with three different videos of herself in action.

“I like to go out and mix it up,” Felton said. “I have fun, sparring is fun. I differ from most women in that I enjoy it.”

The three-minute contest encourages all out action and judges will penalize a fighter for clinching, holding, stalling or circling without striking, waiting for their opponent to attack.

The fighters are judged on a five-point system with five points awarded to the winner and four to the loser, less penalties.

The competitor’s points are combined into a team score which determines the overall team winner at the end of two sets of bouts.

The 27-year-old black belt is prepared for her debut in Denver.

“I’ve stepped up my training,” Felton said. “I did more cardio, wanting to be able to outlast the opponent with energy and strength.”

She knows that she will have her hands and possibly head full with Sitzes, a kick boxer.

“I don’t not know if she has any formal martial arts training,” Felton said. “She’s a formal kick boxer and won quite few titles.
“This is more contact,” Felton said. “At the level that I compete at, I do get hit, still not as much as this.”

The local fighter is planning to utilize her own stamina and speed to defend and attack against Sitzes.

“I’m going in with a different strategy,” Felton said. “I want to move in and move it, similar to like Muhammad Ali, ‘float like a butterfly, sting like a bee,’ and when you go in make it count.”

A successful bout against Sitzes would allow Felton to return as a regular on the World Combat League Tour, competing monthly in different cities.

“Ultimately, I’d like to make it a repeat,” Felton said. “I enjoy it and the business is new, so it would be beneficial for us as well.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home