This Page

has been moved to new address

Mike Fiers fires a no-hitter and I'm not there!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Diary of a Mad Sportswriter: Mike Fiers fires a no-hitter and I'm not there!

Diary of a Mad Sportswriter

Stan Hudy is a sportswriter for The Saratogian and Community News. He covers high school and youth sports in the Saratoga County area as well as writing a weekly book review on sports books. He's not just a "stick and ball" sportswriter, he's willing to take on any sport as well as any subject.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Mike Fiers fires a no-hitter and I'm not there!

It's as big a guarantee as death, taxes and Cal Ripken Jr. being in the starting line-up.

If you are not at an event, something incredible will happen. It's the curse of every newsroom across the nation.

Miss the school board meeting and a brawl breaks out about the proceeds from the marching band's bake sale. Miss a game between the 11-0 giant and the 0-12 bottom team in the league and you are guaranteed an upset for the ages.

It happened again Friday night.

In a perfect world I would have been in Columbus, Ohio to see Clifton Park ice hockey star Nick Petrecki get drafted by the San Jose Sharks and probably would have been on TSN sitting with his parents when the call came as the 28th selection overall.

I would have been (where I was) at Albany-Saratoga Speedway watching two different racers get their first career victories and get a scoop about a young racer that I'm holding as a professional courtesy from another TV reporter. Since I'm the only person who writes car racing and enjoys the sports and its competitors, I was happily obligated.

What I didn't plan on is Saratoga Phillie Mike Fiers to fire a 16-strikeout no-hitter on the road in Amsterdam and I wasn't there. My sports editor asked if I was going, but I am working on a large feature at the race track and had to be there for our weekly coverage....AARRRGGGHHHH!!

If their is anything worse, it was being so excited about Petrecki being drafted at 9:50 p.m., calling my wife, Reda, who was watching the draft for me and then calling the newspaper to make sure they had the news. I forgot about the Phillies until about 11:15 p.m. when I had a chance to breath and it was too late to call and check.

If there is any saving grace, now without a 10:45 p.m. deadline looming over my head while the no-no was occurring last night in Amsterdam, I can dedicate time and space to Fiers accomplishment.

Besides, knowing my luck, my fingers would have slipped while updating my blog about his performance last night and would have jinxed his ongoing performance.

Maybe it was better I wasn't there.

Anyway, congratulations to Mike Fiers, his defense behind him, the winning drivers at Albany-Saratoga Speedway and Nick Petrecki, the 28th selection overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home